Your garage door is a complex mechanism made up of several functioning components, each essential to the seamless movement of the door. Part of the mechanism includes a cable and spring that allows the door to open and close in a controlled manner. The springs are under a high amount of tension. For this reason, a spring break could cause the door to slam down and cause injury to a person or damage to an object. The garage door cable, is responsible for catching the door in the event that the spring breaks.
Types of Garage Door Cables
There are a few different types of garage door cables that we can install. This depends on the type of spring system you have.
● Torsion Springs. These types of cables lock at one end and stop at the other end. Torsion springs must be secured by the cable.
● Extension Springs. Extension springs run alongside the door on both sides. Because they are so long, they need extended spring cables.
● Safety Cables. To prevent damage or injury, we are able to install safety cables to all extension springs.
What can go wrong with your garage door cables?
A few different things can go wrong with garage door cables:
● Cables can wind around the drum incorrectly. The door can become jammed. We can tell if there is a jam because the door droops to one side. We’ve also noticed that it can droop to one side.
● Garage door cables can also become unwound. We’ll need to replace them with new cables.
● The pulleys are worn out. Worn out pulleys cannot be repaired because they’ll go bad over and again.
● The cables can break due to normal wear and tear over time. When this happens, you won’t be able to use the garage door at all. Our professionals will need to remove the old cables and implement new cables.
● Fraying is also common among garage door cables. A cable is actually smaller cables wound together like a rope. As such, they can also become frayed like a rope. Frayed cables can cause a wide range of problems.
Get Your Garage Door Cable Replace with Door Power
If you need your garage door cable replaced, then contact Door Power. We can come to your home, remove the garage door cable and install a new cable that will fit onto your current door. Call us today at 952-467-3199 and schedule a repair. We provide garage door products and services for both home and business owners in the Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota area.